BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 7TH MAY 2018
A bike ride to an 800-year old fair with fabulous food, drink, entertainment, and of course, fellow cyclists!
The Bike Ride
Round up your friends, colleagues, students, clients and family! The Reach Ride is taking place on the Bank Holiday, Monday 7th May 2018.
It’s an occasion to take in the stunning views of the open countryside and enjoy the fun of the fair (and changeable weather). Why not come as a group with a theme, a colour, a sound or the logo of your business?
On the day, make sure you bring water, snacks, a bike lock and money to buy food. The pace will be leisurely, taking under two hours each way. The 12th annual Reach Ride is organised by Cambridge Cycling Campaign and is supported by Cambridge City Council. It is open to everyone, and this includes accompanied child cyclists who are strong enough to ride for around 29 miles. Children under 10 may find the full distance challenging, but you can do a shorter ride by joining in at Newmarket Road Park & Ride site for instance.
You may also cycle from Ely with Ely Cycling Campaign along a scenic off-road route through the fens on NCN11. Meet at 10am at Jubilee Gardens.
Marshals will guide the route and can help with simple bike problems. This ride is just for fun, there is no charge and no sponsorship.
We’ll arrive in the village of Reach for the opening of the historic country fair at noon by the Mayor of Cambridge. The fair dates back over 800 years and still has the tradition of throwing pennies for “the poor villagers” – children today scrabble for as many as they can. There are stalls, fairground rides, a maypole, Morris dancing and food and drink tents. It’s perfect for a family day out.
Bike Safety at the Fair
Please ensure you park your cycle in the designated area. The cycle parking at Reach Fair is on the left as you approach the village centre. It is simply a field near to the fair. There’s a fence and hedge to lean bikes against. We suggest you lock bikes together in groups, at your own risk.
Toilets are available at the Newmarket Road Park & Ride site and at the fair in Reach.
On the day
- All the fun of the 800-year old fair, maypole, rides, beer and food tents, entertainment.
- Join the ride at any point on the route. Last departure Newmarket Road Park & Ride site is at 10.30am.
- Alternative start in Ely led by Ely Cycling Campaign assemble 10am Jubilee gardens: elycycle.org.uk
- Follow National Cycle Network routes NCN 51 to Bottisham then NCN 11 via Lode to Reach Fair at noon.
- Return begins at 2pm via the same route. Arrive back in Cambridge by around 4pm.
- See our website to find out if there are other departure groups near you.
A fun day out…
- “I enjoyed the nature on the way to the fair and back. I even saw a snake (by the Lode’s path) but unfortunately it was dead. The fair was amazing and I got a lot of exercise!” – Jesaelle
- “I couldn’t believe we cycled as long as a marathon is, going to Reach and back. I’m proud of doing it.” – Garris
Find out more
Please note: Photos and videos will be taken during the event. By taking part in this event you grant Camcycle full rights to use the images/footage for fundraising, publicity or other purposes to help achieve Camcycle’s aims. This might include (but is not limited to), the right to use them in their printed and online publicity. If you would not like to be photographed please contact Camcycle.
Some images from previous years
(video by Antony Carpen)
(video by Matthew Danish)
Previous years’ events
See also 10 years of the Reach Ride.
- 2017 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report (blog, newsletter)
- 2016 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report (blog, newsletter)
- 2015 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report
- 2014 : Announcement (newsletter), Report, Personal account
- 2013 : Announcement (newsletter), Report
- 2012 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report
- 2011 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report
- 2010 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report
- 2009 : Announcement (web, newsletter), Report
- 2008 : Announcement (web, newsletter)
- 2007 : Announcement (newsletter), Report
- Other events: Ride for Joy (2010); rides in 2006