Save our Cycles is a campaign calling on everyone who loves their cycle to ‘lock it and log it’ to keep their property safe.
Camcycle has joined with Cambridge City Council, Cambridgeshire Police and other local organisations to spread the word about this campaign in and around Cambridge. We want cyclists across the county to make sure they register their frame numbers online and always lock their cycles securely. Poor quality of locks and locking techniques make cycles more vulnerable to theft and, once stolen, the lack of identifiable information to prove a crime often prevents the police from being able to connect stolen cycles with their owners or to take action against thieves.
We know cycle theft is an issue that costs Cambridge residents an estimated £3 million a year and its impact goes far beyond cost on people’s lives and livelihoods. Entire families have given up cycling because they can no longer risk losing any more cycles. Please join the campaign to Save Our Cycles and help us beat the bike thieves.
TAKE ACTION TO SAVE OUR CYCLES
Lock it and log it
Protect your cycle by locking it securely at all times and keeping a record of your frame number with a photo and description. We recommend registering your cycle at bikeregister.com. If you don’t have access to the internet at home, you could ask a friend to help or go to the library. Your local bike shop may also be able to help you. If your cycle is not registered online, the police are unlikely to be able to help you recover it. Find out more about keeping your cycle safe.
Spread the word with our Save Our Cycles resources
Call for more action on cycle theft
Unfortunately there is no easy solution to prevent cycle theft. Any lock can be broken, any compound can be broken into. There needs to be targeted action from the police and local authorities to address the issue and make it clear that thieves can’t get away with this crime. Help raise awareness by writing to your councillors and the Police and Crime Commissioner to share your experiences and call on them to take action.
Help improve cycle parking
We need to make sure that cycle parking is secure in public places and transport hubs, places of employment, schools and colleges, shops and in residential developments. Find out more about how you can start to campaign for improvements near you.
Get involved with this campaign
Donate to support our work to reduce cycle theft
PAST ACTION ON CYCLE THEFT
Camcycle has been working to tackle cycle theft for over 25 years. Here’s a selection of our campaigning work on the issue:
- 1995: Raising the issue of cycle theft with the police
- 1996: Helping the county council with a survey on secure cycle lockers
- 1998: Sharing advice on insuring your cycle against theft
- 1999: Responding to a consultation on the Crime and Disorder Act
- 1999: Joining the Cambridge ‘Cycle Crime working group’
- 2000: Reporting on police matters including cycle theft data
- 2001: Advising on secure cycle parking stands
- 2002: Working in partnership with the police to reduce cycle theft by 33%
- 2005: Reporting on lessons learnt from the Cycle Theft Reduction project
- 2006: Helping a Camcycle member recover her stolen bike
- 2007: Auditing the need for secure cycle parking in Petersfield
- 2008: Publishing a new Cycle Parking Guide
- 2011: Making the case for a full-time Cycling Officer at the city council
- 2012: Calling for a third city centre cycle park
- 2015: Joining a new Cycle Crime Tasking Group
- 2015: Sharing ‘lock it and log it’ advice with the British Transport Police
- 2016: Warning members about a compromised bike stand scam
- 2018: Sharing advice on locks in the Cambridge News
- 2018: Being mentioned in the Guardian in a Consumer Champion response on cycle theft
- 2019: Highlighting the scale of theft at Cambridge station
- 2020: Raising awareness of the issue in the Cambridge Independent