Cycling can help us all stay healthy, boost our immune systems and lift our spirits during the Covid-19 pandemic. Staying safe is imperative but we can – and should – keep cycling.
The government guidelines changed on Tuesday 5 January when a new national lockdown came into force. The main message is to stay at home. Other relevant points from the guidelines affecting people who cycle include:
- If you need to travel, [e.g. for work, medical needs or essential shopping] walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practice social distancing while you travel.
- Exercise is encouraged but should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area. You can exercise in a public outdoor place by yourself, with members of your household or support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one) or, when on your own, with one person from another household.
- Businesses providing essential goods and services, including cycle shops, can stay open.
Encouraging walking or cycling for essential journeys is important to keep levels of air pollution and congestion low, enable people to stay active and free up space on public transport for those who need it.
With many people beginning or rediscovering cycling, Camcycle wants to help enable new habits to continue. We also want to support our community of members and volunteers, some of whom may be unable to cycle at the present time. We will continue to gather and broadcast monthly meetings online and gather recommendations for cycling-related things to read, watch or study while at home.
Camcycle remains busy campaigning on a variety of local issues. Our Spaces to Breathe campaign works to ensure those cycling and walking can stay safe and healthy during the coronavirus pandemic and beyond.
Can I continue to cycle during the coronavirus pandemic?
Camcycle advises you to keep on cycling for exercise and essential journeys, where it is safe to do so.
I’m new to cycling. What do I need to know?
Welcome! We hope you find cycling an enjoyable and rewarding experience. You’ll find support in and around Cambridge, from other cyclists and an amazing network of bike shops.
What can I do to address issues on my cycle routes?
Our new Spaces to Breathe campaign is working to keep people safe when cycling and walking. Tell us the areas you’d like to see improved.
• Find out more about our Spaces to Breathe campaign
How can I stay safe and support my community?
It’s never been more important to work together to protect each other and the NHS. We’re continuing to gather lists of things you can do as a cycling volunteer or while staying safely at home.
• Camcycle list of opportunities for cycling volunteers
What is Camcycle doing during the coronavirus period?
We continue to campaign for more, better and safer cycling but have reassessed our priorities for the year. Events such as the Reach Ride are cancelled and other meetings are moving online.