The Northstowe Phase 2 consultation closes on 31st October. Points we will be making in our response:
- The development is completely permeable to motor traffic. Closing roads to through-motor traffic makes them quieter and discourages driving short distances, enhancing the residential area and making it more attractive for walking and cycling.
- The 2m wide cycle lanes on the primary streets (down from 2.1m in phase 1) are next to a water feature, reducing the usable width. We suggest 2.5m lanes
- Bi-directional cycle lanes on secondary streets make junctions more dangerous
- 2m wide shared-use greenways are completely inadequate for both walking and cycling
- Lack of connectivity to the wider region
- No marked provision for cycling in the town centre
- No detailed statement on residential bike parking
- 30mph design speeds on residential routes. No mention of 20mph anywhere.
This is a brand-new town, without the physical constraints of the existing road network. Once again the designers are presenting us with sub-standard cycle infrastructure, and repeating the mistakes of the last few decades of town building.
Please respond to the consultation and raise your concerns about the design for cycling.