This article was published in 2002, in Newsletter 44.
The popular series of local cycle route leaflets, describing rides around the Cambridge Green Belt area, has recently been updated and reprinted.
There are five routes, each with a different theme, and highlighting interesting places to visit:
- Route 1 – Earthworks and Landmarks (13 or 24 miles). A ‘figure of eight’ route to the north west of Cambridge.
- Route 2 – River, Canal and Roman Road (13 miles). A loop between Chesterton and Waterbeach, with a transportation theme.
- Route 3 – Settlement on the Chalk (12.5 or 25 miles). East to Dullingham.
- Route 4 – Local action for wildlife (16 or 25 miles). Exploring Cambridgeshire countryside south of the city, including many sites managed by local volunteers.
- Route 5 – Moats and Meadows, a Medieval tour (14.5 miles). A loop from Foxton railway station, then through Shepreth, Barrington, Haslingfield and Thriplow.
The pack of route leaflets, together with a summary leaflet and a Cambridge Cycle Route Map, costs £2.75, and is available from the following:
- Cambridge Tourist Information Centre
- Cambridgeshire County Council
- Cambridge Central Library
- Trumpington Park and Ride tourist office (limited opening hours)
- Milton Country Park