This article was published in 1997, in Newsletter 11.
We’re planning ten events for this year’s National Bike Week (7th – 15th June). The subgroup organising them needs two or three more enthusiasts, and we’ll need volunteers for several of the activities we plan. For the full list of activities, all of them still subject to further change, see the Diary.
- Nominations for awards for the best and worst contributors to the quality of cycling in Cambridge. Anyone, not just Campaign members, may nominate any person or organisation (even yourself!) for either or both awards. Two shortlists will be prepared and publicised.
- Organiser wanted for a public debate. We hope to get one or two celebrity speakers, but still need a good title or motion.
- Long-term storage space wanted for the ‘pedestrian barriers’ we shall be using for cycle parking and as fences for the Dr Bike work area. We’d like to buy four barriers, rather than borrow or rent for the week, so that we can run Dr Bike sessions at other times, too. Do you have one edge of a garage, or similar? Each barrier is about 3 m (10′) long, 1 m (3′) high and 50 mm (2″) deep.
- Stall volunteers would be valuable for longer than usual on both Saturdays, and for an indoor stall at the film on Wednesday. Paula would welcome a few more volunteers for the stall at any time of year, too.
- Helpers are also going to be needed for Dr Bike and for some of the rides.
- If you have a decorated or odd pedal cycle, could you join the unusual bike parade on the second Saturday?
If you can help with any of the above, contact Clare Tel: 336024.
- Do you have a bike trailer? Or a couple of walkie talkies? Or do you know anyone who does? If so, the organisers of this year’s Grand Cycle Ride urgently need to hear from you.
- We still need more stewards on the day itself (Sunday 11 May) and offers of help making placards and banners (in late April).
If you can help with any of those, contact Paula Tel: 323057.