A timeline to track the planning of the Reach Fair ride 2014.
- [ ] A task yet to be completed.
- [!] Urgent requiring attention.
- [~] Active work in progress.
- [=] A completed task.
- [x] A task that has been cancelled.
- [=] At the Campaign’s AGM (or following committee meeting), request support, in principle for running the ride again.
- [=] Cambridge Cycling Campaign Committee agreed budget of £1,000.
- [=] Confirm with Reach Fair organisers the date of the Fair – 5th May 2014.
- [=] Announce the start of planning to committee, members, and others such as council officers inviting participation.
- [=] Write short article for newsletter inviting participation to plan the ride. https://www.ensembling.com/87387
- [=] Attend Reach Fair committee – Simon plans to go on 15th Jan to discuss alternate route option
- [=] Identify source of funding for leaflet production – our application to Le Tour Legacy fund has been accepted.
- [x] Request inclusion in newsletter announcement email.
- [=] Agree route, start point and timings. Same as 2013? including the additional ride from Ely?
- [=] Establish the reason for doing the ride and expected numbers of participants (300). Read about the ethos of the ride.
- [x] Hold first planning meeting with co-organisers – scheduled for noon 1 Feb
- [ ] Decide on number of leaflets (10,000) to print and any other marketing strategy.
- [ ] Request various forms:
- [ ] Risk assessment forms for the insurer. These were looked over – basically they are CTC forms, but we’ve really covered all.
- [=] Highways authority: Notification of Event Application made – Ref. 3531292 /lists/archives/contact/47799/
- [ ] Check if there has been response. There has been none as at 4 Mar 2013 14:00 – so assume OK.
- [ ] Contact the Police – request sent 1st Feb 2013 – our ref lists/contact/43202/. After reminder sent 4th March 43598 was acknowledged 43607.
- [ ] Contact City Council – cycling officer knows about it.
- [ ] Identify source of organisers liability insurance, usually by registering at BikeWeek.
Awaiting vetting – bike week site not yet live as at 1 Feb 2013
- [ ] Also register the reconnaisance ride, which starts 10:30 am Saturday 4th May.
- [ ] Get full written confirmation that we’re registered on the website, which means we’re covered.
(Presence on these websites is usually enough.)
- [=] Promotional grant confirmation from County Council received early March.
- [ ] Who will pay for extras such as maintainence bikes (i.e. Outspoken) and road closures? Outspoken kindly offered one maintenance bike in 2011. We’ve had several willing volunteers in previous years.
- [=] Tender for leaflet designer. Last year’s designer has accepted.
- [ ] Get quotes for production. Agree costs with treasurer and funder.
- [ ] Drafts available in: Reach Ride folder.
- [ ] Invite the Mayor lists/contact/43829/ – confirmed at lists/contact/43831/
- [~] Invite family, friends encourage others to do so
- [~] Promote the ride, using the links below
- [ ] Write newsletter article about the ride, soliciting marshals and volunteers to help distribute leaflets. https://www.ensembling.com/71827
- [ ] Collect leaflets from printers
- [ ] Request invoice from designer. Received: lists/contact/43809/
- [~] Plan leaflet distribution
- [ ] Box of leaflets to Shire Hall
- [ ] Add leaflet final version to Camcycle’s Filespace
- [ ] Leaflets ready for Cam-to-Coast ride on 23rd March
- [ ] Take leaflets to newsletter stuffing. Outspoken Delivery have been tasked with this.
- [ ] Request inclusion in Newsletter reminder
- [ ] Update website page about the ride.
- [ ] Add recce ride page. Doodle poll
- [ ] Attend Reach Fair Committee 21 March and raise cycle parking and other issues – they have been corresponding, cycle parking is still the main issue
Secured two fields: one as per last year, and the other on the Ely / Burwell side.
- [ ] Make sure designer gets paid – confirmed to Simon by private email on 12 April.
- [ ] Request invoice from printer – received at: lists/contact/44058/
- [ ] Make sure printer gets paid – confirmed to Simon by private email on 12 April.
- [ ] Blog post
- [ ] Request volunteer marshals, and maintain a list of them and other interested folk. Doodle poll
- [ ] Update website page about the ride.
- [ ] Update facebook, twitter etc.
- [ ] Accept invitation to ReachFair luncheon – Simon and Martin going: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/lists/contact/44144/
- [ ] Draft a press release and ensemble for feedback. 2012’s is at https://www.ensembling.com/51319
- [ ] Order some flags. Probably not necessary as loads left over from previous years.
- [ ] Send out personalised invitations – e.g. to the Mayor, family, friends encourage others to do so
- [ ] Appeal for volunteers to help with this task: Schools will receive leaflets for distribution, but only if we’ve contacted them first, usually by ‘phone and explained what the event is and why we’re doing it. We’ve got a list of schools and Outspoken are willing to do the delivery, but what we need are some volunteers to do the actual ringing around first. I’m happy to provide the details of what to say, but we do need volunteers please to pick up this task.
One volunteer so far for this (hurray).
- [ ] Update facebook, twitter etc.
- [ ] Issue press release about 12 days before the ride so that the Cambridge Crier will probably use it. In 2011 it was all sent really rather too late.
- [ ] Check bikes are ready to ride.
- [ ] Remind Camcycle members that this is a Campaign event and never too late for volunteers to come forward and help with marshalling/punctures etc.
- [ ] Is there a missing sign at the left turn out of White Fen Drove? New one there: http://www.cyclestreets.net/location/49109/
- [ ] Locate handheld counters.
- [ ] Purchase emergency rations such as bottled water, energy bars and puncture repair kits.
- [ ] Compose a detailed set of notes for marshals – including who is doing which slot.
- [ ] Need a rota of marshals for supervising the bikes at the fair
- [ ] Get lots of the Lodes Way leaflets
- [ ] Hold the marshals ride, to be clear they know the route and their responsibilities.
- [ ] Bring printed copies of the Risk Assessment form and Large Events Organizers guide
Checklist before Day of the ride
- [ ] Stallbike – working properly
- [ ] Flag tubes
- [ ] Flag poles
- [ ] Flags
- [ ] Bottled water
- [ ] Energy bars
- [ ] Puncture repair kits
- [ ] Trackpump & ordinary pumps
- [ ] Membership recruitment pack
- [ ] Soap box for mayor
- [ ] Route 51 sign on peg for Swaffham Bulbeck
- [ ] Mail out the ride itinerary to the marshals
- [ ] Allocate counting marshal
- [ ] Counters
- [ ] Duty sheet
- [ ] Gaffer tape and insulating tape
- [ ] Marshals have copies of the leaflets – which contain useful details for many who won’t otherwise have seen it
- [ ]
Day of the ride
- [ ] Arrive early with stall bike and enjoy the event!
- [ ] Give welcome speech that has audience participation: Why are you here? Where are you going Reach? Are you members of the campaign? Who wants to join? and which thanks sponsors and the volunteer marshals. Few brief messages about looking after each other and say that copies of the leaflet are available.
- [ ] During the ride stop at various locations to give riders a breather, e.g Park n Ride site, wide bit after Quy Tunnel, the Missing Sock.
- [ ] At end of ride get feedback
- [ ] Request write-ups, and write one yourself for the newsletter.
- [ ] Send out thank-yous.
- [ ] Do a press-release giving news of the event.
- [ ] Amend these notes in light of the experience.
Here’s a list of places we should use to promote the event. Let us know if you think there are more.
- [ ] Flack. We’re now registered as listing provider. April Issue Deadline : 6 March Midday – sent our ref: lists/contact/43656/ and lists/contact/44072/
- [ ] Advertise the Reach Fair Ride in the CCVS newsletter. Request made: 43602,43611 sent lists/contact/43830/
- [ ] Advertise the Reach Fair Ride in the Travel for Work newsletter e-mail: info at tfw.org.uk Request lists/contact/43833/
- [ ] Gumtree – can’t read activation email lists/contact/43835/ – Ad went live 29 Mar 2013 at about 9pm
- [ ] wereallneighbours – as added
- [ ] Add to BBC What’s On pages. Submat 20 Mar 2013 – confirmed 22 Mar: BBC Things to do
- [ ] Add to Cambridge News’ What’s On pages – Submat 25 Apr 2012 18:35, waiting for it to go live.
- [ ] Huntingdon Community Radio Melissajane Gray want us to go to their studios, but they are in Godmanchester. Not sure how relevant this is going to be for us – but there is reported hostility to cycling in Huntingdon that needs challenging.
- [ ] LocalSecrets – registered 20 Mar 2013 15:18 awaiting confirmation code
- [ ] visitcambridge emailed request at lists/contact/43840/ (still nothing by 29 March)
- [ ] Marketing tips from the University
Here’s a list of bike shops where leaflets should be delivered:
Simon has done these:
- [ ] Dutch-Bike
- [ ] Electric transport shop (are also offering bikes for the day)
- [ ] Claud Butler, Mill Road
- [ ] Greg’s Cycles
- [ ] Cambridge Station Cycles at the Railway Station
- [ ] Cycle King, Mill Road
- [ ] Robinsons Cycles on corner of Godesdone Road and Newmarket Road
- [ ] “Rear mech and tan” (Simon’s coinage). A discrete bike shop on Newmarket Road, crammed with second hand bikes and tanning units.
- [ ] Others to be listed
Rob King has done these:
- [ ] Ben Haywards (Trump St)
- [ ] Cambridge Cycle Centre
- [ ] Kingsway
- [ ] Primo
- [ ] Library and Tourist Info.
City Cycling officer is sending leaflets out to all our community centres and our office reception areas by 19 April.